Friday 27 February 2009

i-pod shuffle

This is a thread of DiS. Play shuffle, write about the first 5 tracks. Since I have my headphones on at work I could play. Good game...(not really a game though is it)

Play >>>

01) Grampall Jookabox - I’m Absolutely Freaked Out (Ropechain)
Amazing start! Messed up paranoid grooved-out soulful ‘jungle-folk’, better whistling than P,B&J + mean bass break and war whooping on Jeffry Lewis’ Ashtmatic Kitty label. “Black soul yes black soul / black strength yes black strength” Can’t remember exactly where I heard about this band first – maybe Ongaku Baka - but this album turned up on a lot of American blogs in their end of year lists. Quite rightly. Amen to that.

02) Crippled Black Phoenix – Rise Up And Fight (The Resurrectionists)
Awesome second song. This is going great! Sounds loads like dusty, dark 60’s road blues – chung-a-chugga-chung-a-chugga…..claustrophobic and expansive at the same time. That’s agoraphobic, right? This planes out into a totally blissed-out Stooges Vs. Spiritualised epic cosmic ending of U.S. Christmas proportions. Heartbeat to finish. Coming as either a double album or succession of releases some time very soon, if not already.

03) Fake Shark Real Zombie – Shame On You Scabs (Zebra! Zebra)
Someone mentioned this band here on DiS as an album of 09 so far, so I looked into them. This is a protest/union rights song, right? They sound like 3hostwomexicansandatinofspanners – and will probably last as long too.

04) Headquarters - Playskool
Saw this band support Action Beat in Brighton the other day. Why have I never heard of them before? Tense, nervy, taut Albini style Dischord guitars with an organ tying everything up together, really engaging frontman. Bombastic country. This track is just a snippit of weirdness though. Good enough as a break before…

05) Backstreet Boys – Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
“Am I original?” No, but this track is one of the best pop tunes EVER!
“Am I the only one?” No, there was a lot of this going on, but not as good as you, I’ll give you that.
“Am I sexual?” Hell yeah. This has groove, style and a ruffneck bass that makes me KNOW you could bring me home baby.
“Am I everything you needed?” at this moment in time, abso-fuckin-lutely.

No comments: